Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Real Resolutions for 2011


 

Image courtesy: ○  Thinkstockphotos/Getty Images
Hope you had an awesome time last year It’s just two days into 2011. It’s the time when there are no immediate pressures, nothing much to do - you have just resumed work after a holiday. It’s the best time to look back at 2010 and understand what happened there - and what you’ve learned, to use it in 2011.
It’s time to make your New Year resolutions. Real ones, those that actually work. Try some of these.

1. I will clean the house. Once a month, I will throw out things I don’t need (or better, give them to a charity), and I will do it properly - empty the cupboards, clear my mail, sweep / dust / swab / wipe / wash / rearrange / organize. I will clear my desktop and maybe format my computer. Starting today.

2. I will exercise. It doesn’t matter what I do, but I will sweat once a day. Whether I join a gym, walk to the station, take stairs instead of lifts, dance, or even clean.
3. I will make a wishlist of the things I want to buy, and pin it up where I can see it the whole year round. And I will keep crossing off things from it, by saving up and buying them. Every time I think of blowing cash on something not on the list, I will look at the list once and ask myself - "is it worth more that that?" or "Do I need it?"
4. I will save money. As soon as the salary comes in, some amount will go into a bank account that has no ATM card and no netbanking. That account will not be touched. If nothing else, I will buy a giant piggy bank and fill it with only Rs500 notes.
5. I will get rid of my debts - credit cards, phone bills, money owed to friends, overdue payments - one at a time, all will be cleared and not restarted until everything is cleared off. I will lock up the credit cards, maybe even cut them.
6. I will talk to my parents - whether I live with them or not. Regularly.
7. A mall is not the default choice when I have spare time. There’s tons of interesting places in the city I haven’t seen - I’ll pick up a tourist book and start exploring. Places to see, food to eat, interesting stuff to buy, stories to hear.
8. I will go on at least one holiday a year. For more than a weekend. Yes, it’s possible. It doesn’t have to be expensive. I’ll get some friends together and just head out - and if they can’t come, I’ll go with family - or even alone. But I will break the monotony.
9. I will learn something new. A language, a dance, a musical instrument, a martial art, any activity… but it will be something I’m doing for myself, that I’ve always wanted to do. And I won’t wait for friends or permissions.
10. A small amount of time - in a day, or a week, or a month - is me-time, free time, where I don’t have anything to do. This is me-time, where I can sit and vegetate / meditate / dream / empty my head. I will write this down in giant letters and stick to it, whatever happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment